Online Resources during COVID-19 closures
Many publishers, platforms and creators are offering access to their products for a limited time. Please note log-in passwords where applicable.
- Ancestry.com – this genealogy resource is temporarily allowing at-home use.
- Kids & Families
Search the online catalog of the Salem Public Library, all NOBLE libraries or broaden your search to include other Massachusetts libraries. To request an item online from another library, you will need to log into your account .
- Salem Public Library Catalog : online catalog of materials located at the Salem Public Library.
- NOBLE Libraries Catalog : catalogs of all libraries in the North of Boston Library Exchange.
- Commonwealth Catalog (ComCat) : statewide library catalog. If items are not available through NOBLE, items may be requested from other Massachusetts libraries.
Check out our new video tutorials available by clicking on the orange “Help Tutorials” tab that will appear to the right.
Residents of Northeast Massachusetts have access to high-quality local, state, and regionally funded databases of full-text periodicals, health and business resources, biographical and literary databases. Select a database from one or more of the categories below. When prompted, input your 14-digit public library patron barcode (on your library card) and begin searching.
- Academic OneFile : peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world’s leading journals and reference sources. Academic OneFile video tutorial
- Academic Search Elite : full text for more than 1,500 peer-reviewed titles.
- Biography : peer-reviewed biographies in context.
- Educators Reference Complete : contains more than 1,100 periodicals and 200 reports from the U.S. Department of Education.
- ERIC: a selection of more than 450 full-text academic journals in education.
- Gale Academic OneFile Select : this database meets research needs across all academic disciplines.
- Professional Development Collection : collection of full-text education journals designed for professional educators.
- Chilton (Use password: salem): Find step-by-step auto repair instructions, maintenance schedules, recalls, diagrams and more. Search by specific year, make and model.
- Business Source Premier : includes company and industry profiles, country reports, and market research reports.
- Entrepreneurship: information about starting a business, planning, finance, management, and more.
- Morningstar Online (Salem residency required for remote access) : in depth information and ratings on mutual funds. Online access is restricted to one user at a time; therefore, if it’s in use please try again. This replaces the print edition of Morningstar. MorningStar video tutorial
- Computer Skills Center: video courses to learn popular software and computer basics. Salem residency required.
- Niche Academy: a collection of videos to learn about computer programs and more.
E-books and Audiobooks
- Odilo : eBooks en Español.
- Hoopla : Borrow movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, comics and TV shows to enjoy on your computer, tablet, or phone – and even your TV!
- Overdrive : online catalog of downloadable e-books and e-audiobooks. Overdrive video tutorial
- Britannica Escolar
- Learning Express Library (Salem residency required for remote access) : access to over 300 online practice exams and quizzes for standardized test preparation (SAT, GED, U.S. Citizenship, TOEFL and more). Available with Spanish translation.
- Odilo : eBooks en Español.
- Researching Family History : a Salem Public Library guide.
- Ancestry : database of genealogy information including census data, passenger lists, and birth, marriage and death records. Ancestry video tutorial
- HeritageQuest (available in library only) : contains census data, family records, local histories, tax lists, city directories, land and probate records, birth, marriage, and death records.
- American Ancestors and New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) is America’s founding genealogical organization and the most respected name in family history.
- American Graphics Institute (available in library only) : a digital book collection that provides access to books, video tutorials, and lesson files for learning digital design software, office applications, and web coding skills.
- Consumer Reports: a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping consumers make informed choices about products, services, and safety.
- EBSCOHost : collection of databases including resources for health, business, newspapers and professional development to search individually or all at once.
- Educator’s Reference Complete: articles and resources on education.
- Environmental Studies and Policy: articles and resources on the environment.
- Gender Studies: articles and resources on gender studies.
- General OneFile : a one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics.
- Global Issues: general information about issues around the world.
- Manuscripts, Archives & Special Collections Directory : a guide and locator for special collections residing in Massachusetts libraries, archives, historical societies and town clerk’s offices.
- Research Companion: evaluation tools for online information.
- Salem Links & Lore : an online collection of information about Salem, Massachusetts that can be searched by keyword or browsed by subject list.
- Science: articles and resources for students interested in science.
Health & Medical
- Health and Medicine : multi-source database providing access to full-text of nursing and allied health journals.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center with Alternative Health Module : Alternative-focused newspapers, directories, videos and references.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition : health information for the layperson.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition : health information for medical professionals and medical students.
- MEDLINE : collection of scholarly medical journals.
- MedlinePlus : The BEST online source for consumer health information.
- Nursing and Allied Health: medical research and resources.
- Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine: medical research and resources.
History & Current Events
- Black Freedom Struggle in the U.S.: primary source documents, historical newspaper articles, pamphlets, diaries, correspondence, and more.
- Global Issues in Context: integrates news, global viewpoints, reference materials, country information, primary source documents, videos, statistics, and more in a single search.
- News: full-text newspaper resource allows users to search articles instantly by title, headline, date, author, newspaper section, or other fields.
- U.S. History in Context: an engaging online experience for those seeking contextual information on hundreds of the most significant people, events and topics in U.S. History.
- World History in Context: reaches back to the ancient world — and forward to today’s headlines — to deliver a chronicle of the great cultures and societies that have formed the history of the human race.
Hobbies and Interests
- Consumer Reports
- Gardening and Horticulture: a comprehensive periodical collection supporting research in horticultural studies.
- Home Improvement Collection: discover home improvement content that supports both hobbyists and professionals.
Jobs and Careers
- Peterson’s Career Prep: Personalized career assessments, Comprehensive career information, Job searching capabilities, Resume editing software. This is a replacement service for Career Transitions.
- LearningExpress: information about jobs, careers, skill building, and more.
- Vocations and Careers: career research and resources.
Languages (Salem residency required for remote access)
- Pronunciator: an online language-learning tool that offers instruction for 80 languages and ESL for 50 non-English languages. Services include conversation groups, Citizenship Preparation, media, and classes for children. Pronunciator video tutorial
- Boston Globe : access directly to Boston Globe articles.
- Newspaper Source : articles from more than 200 regional, national, and international papers.
- New York Times : access directly to New York Times articles.
- Literature Resource Center: From the Mass. Bs. of Lib. Comm. & Mass Library System with state funds and federal IMLS funds.
- NextReads : a monthly e-mail newsletter service which will send you great book suggestions by email.
- NoveList : allows readers to use a favorite author or title as a template to locate other authors and titles of interest.
- Biography in Context: provides coverage of over 4,500 of the most searched and studied contemporary and historical figures.
- Britannica School Edition
- Explora for High Schools: Designed to meet the unique needs of its users, Explora supports both student research and classroom instruction.
- Explora for Primary Schools: A simple interface to articles and other resources appropriate for elementary school students
- Explora for Middle Schools: An interface to articles and other resources suitable for middle school students
- Gale in Context : targets the research needs of K-5 students.
- Middle School: general information geared toward students in middle school.
- Middle Search Plus : articles aimed at middle and junior high school research.
- Opposing Viewpoints: online resource covering today’s hottest social issues, from capital punishment to immigration to marijuana.
- Research Companion: evaluation tools for online information.
- Science In Context: provides contextual information on hundreds of today’s most significant science topics.
Test Prep (Salem residency required for remote access)
- Learning Express Library (Salem residency required for remote access) : access to over 300 online practice exams and quizzes for standardized test preparation (SAT, GED, U.S. Citizenship, TOEFL and more). Available with Spanish translation. Learning Express video tutorial